Friday, April 17, 2009

A post-Easter breakfast tradition

163

Egg Goldenrod

You will need:

eggs
butter
flour
milk
salt
bread

1. Hard-boil the eggs (1 per piece of toast)

2. Peel, and set aside the yolks

3. Meanwhile, make a white sauce (2 tbsp. butter, 2 tbsp. flour, 1 c. milk, 1/4 tsp. salt) - make more depending on the # of pieces of toast

4. Cut up the egg whites and add to the white sauce.

5. Pour over toast (buttered, if you want), and sprinkle crumbled yolks over the top.

 

I have fond memories of discovering this recipe while I was a college student. One of my best friends from Pennsylvania lived in a nearby apartment, and we often had Saturday breakfast together after going to the Provo Temple.

One time she fixed this for me, and I was enchanted! It looked so pretty and cheerful. And it was just so creamy. Mm-hmm.

It morphed into a post-Easter tradition quite naturally, as the hardest part of the recipe is boiling the eggs, and after Easter, there's no shortage of boiled eggs around here!

The boys all love this recipe, and I have to nearly triple it because they always want seconds and thirds. Just 1 serving is plenty satisfying for me, though. It's the type of breakfast that makes you feel good for the rest of the morning. :)

Try it!! You will love it!!

5 comments:

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

That does look so good! We'll have to use up our hard-boiled eggs tomorrow...

JenB said...[Reply to comment]

Great idea Michelle!
It's fun to get a peek into your kitchen. :-)

Iamaprogramador said...[Reply to comment]

Michelle,

This has nothing to do with the fun breakfast (which Becky and I think we'll try tomorrow morning!).

But I did want to say thanks for having such great, inspiring music on your blog. I left it on most of the day today at work. It is very calming, and helps me to think clearly. Thanks for sharing!

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

Great idea! Makes me want to go have some right now with our leftover Easter eggs (It's 10:42 p.m. so not wise.) Nice post! BTW, I agree with Daniel--the music is VERY nice!

snbjork said...[Reply to comment]

Boy does that look yummy!!!