Saturday, April 25, 2009

help! - silly putty removal?

*2nd Update: He emerged from the bathroom with a red scalp (from forcibly removing the silly putty), and only slightly pink hair. I had received a couple of your comments (THANK YOU!) and told him the ideas. He tried the hairspray, and then took a shower with shampoo, and it worked! Phew! I think I'm going to follow Tricia's good example and ban the stuff from our house. . . .

*Update: He has gotten the main mass out, but now the whole top of his head is tinged bright pink and is very sticky. Worst of all, he won't let me take a picture!! He locked the door when I went to get the camera.

Exacto's been in the bathroom for a long time with the door shut. I kept calling him, and finally I went up and asked him if he was okay. He said, "Yeah."

I said, "Well, what are you doing?"

He said, "Trying to get silly putty out of my hair."

Apparently he had put a ball of bright pink silly putty on his head because he thought it would be neat to see it turn into a "puddle" on his head, then take it right off. It didn't come off.

He said he's tried ice and that didn't really work, and then he tried hot water, and that didn't really work.

Any ideas?!!!

8 comments:

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

Hoh, dear! Take away his ipod until you get a picture. jk I love you both and hope everything "works out".

Sorry, Exacto!

Stephanie Johnson said...[Reply to comment]

Try Dis-solv-it. It works great for gum in hair so should work for that. Good luck!

Mandy said...[Reply to comment]

Oh no!!! Poor kid. But with keen imagination, Exacto! Your mom will just have to shave it all of, I'm afraid. ;)

I second Stephanie's suggestion. Dis-solv-it is great stuff. Mark told me he used to use rubbing alcohol on stick stuff when he detailed cars. He might have an idea how to get it out too.

I miss you guys and can't wait to see you very soon! I've been thinking of you a lot, Michelle, and keeping you in my prayers too. We need to talk more often.

Annie said...[Reply to comment]

Hair spray works well. :)

Tricia said...[Reply to comment]

oh no - I am sorry to hear that - I absolutely hate silly putty and have banned it from my house. It got in our carpet a while back and pretty much never came out. Peanut butter might work since it works for gum. HOpefully by now you have discovered a way to help remove it. Good luck! The fun parts of parenting:).

Annie said...[Reply to comment]

Glad it worked. :) I may have been speaking from experience... my mom once had to get some out of the carpet after I had tried to make an imprint of the carpet fibers. Whoops.

Annalisa said...[Reply to comment]

ice cubes have worked for us. freeze it and pick it off.

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

We used Goo Gone which is the same as DeSolve It, I think. I would think after you get most of it off that Dawn detergent would help too. Good luck! This is a better, cheaper problem than the Lewis brothers when they put the cell phone in the microwave to see what it sounded like when the microwave was working. Kids, kids, kids.