Monday, April 6, 2009

Day 21 - { heavenly conference weekend }

015 (2)This weekend was heaven on earth for me.

To spend eight hours listening to gorgeous music and the powerful, uplifting words of the prophets while seated on the couch next to my Darling Cutie. . . .

And on a blanket in front of us, three of our sons enjoying MnM's and colored pencils and Conference packets. . . 

It really felt like we came out of the world for a couple of days.

Didn't it seem like a lot of the talks were about being "of good cheer" in the face of adversity?

Elder Scott's talk in particular struck me deeply.

In fact, I need to repent. I have shared a lot of negative emotion on this blog lately, and I am sorry!

Starting from the moment I felt the Spirit prompt me during Elder Scott's talk, I have resolved to stop complaining about this trial. Start focusing as much as possible on the eternal joy I have to look forward to.

The words of the prophets this weekend made eternity seem not so far away.

I know it doesn't mean I will suddenly stop feeling pain. In fact, I realized yesterday for the first time that I will surely go through loss again before this life is over. I will likely have to say goodbye to many of my loved ones before eternity arrives.

So I want to be like Elder Scott and not complain. I want to focus on the wonderful, living people around me that I love so much. I want to look toward eternity as something that will arrive sooner rather than later and live each day completely and as joyfully as I can.

{ Hummer is up from his Quiet Time now, and I need to end this post. }

Can't wait till the transcripts are posted on the Church's website so I can post some of my favorite one-liners!

Until then, I sing out my gratitude for this beautiful weekend. I feel so refreshed and strengthened!

I thank Thee, Heavenly Father!100 days of gratitude tag

8 comments:

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

Rah, Rah!! Amen! How wonderful, Michelle. I sure love you.

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

I also can't wait. My fav was Elder Oaks and sacrifice. I was also amazed with the be of good cheer. I hope I can remember that as these last days approach. I guess we of all people have nothing to fear right?

I too feel refreshed.

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

Quickly, before we leave for Phoenix to pick up the Tharps--I LOVED Conference too. The Brethren are so inspired! They say what each ONE of us needs to hear. Now I need to get to work. Good job on faithfully teaching your children the Gospel! You and DC are awesome! I sure love Exacto, Fluffy, Hummer--and sweet Benjamin too!

Chris said...[Reply to comment]

Every six months, I just keep thinking the conference talks are getting better and better. I've realized the past few years though, that they've always been good--I must just be maturing spiritually, finally. I'm so glad I'm married to someone who loves conference, too! What a blessing!!

Vauna said...[Reply to comment]

Amen to Michelle and every comment so far, especially Christian's.
The difference is Chris has been maturing spiritually since he was 2. Me, it's been about the last 10 years that it really picked up for me.
Every talk truly was a blessing. What great knowledge we have to know that Heavenly father loves his children and is so in tune with us and has given us prophets, seers, & revelators to reveal his words to us!

Andre said...[Reply to comment]

The thing that hit me about your post was "No more complaining? But, I do that all the time!" I like to see someone is struggling like me. (Not that I'm glad you have reason to struggle, but that you know what I feel.) I don't think I'm at the place where I can just stop. Hopefully you can give me strength and inspire me.

Conference is so much more personal to me now. I love it.

Cindy said...[Reply to comment]

I LOVED conference as well. It is really one of my very favorite things in the whole world!

snbjork said...[Reply to comment]

I, too, picked up on the theme of being of good cheer. I certainly needed to have that reinforced in my mind and heart. With so much hate, death, destruction, violence, not to mention the terrible economy in the world right now, it's easy to focus on the negative and worry about the future. Each conference we are reminded that yes, there are terrible things happening in the world. BUT, there are also many good and wonderful things and people.

I wish we could have conference once a month!