Friday, April 24, 2009

Emulating Jesus Christ

temple scaffolding -oquirrh mountain

                                                      photo credit Rickety Family (I edited)

Building on His firm foundation requires us to emulate Christ's character. There is no joy nor is there any security in giving Him mere lip service. Emulating Him is the key, and our emerging character is the refined structure of our souls. After all the circumstantial scaffolding comes down, character is what is left.

from Elder Neal A. Maxwell in 2002

I just found this quote this morning, and it took my breath away. I wonder what character will be revealed after my "scaffolding" comes down?

Hummer has decided to catch a bird for me, preferably a hawk. He has the front door wide open, and a cup full of chicken feed, and is waiting patiently for a bird to fly in.

Exacto has Quiz Bowl today. H and I are about to go watch his team compete.

< H just said sweetly, "Mommy, when are you going to finish that post?" >

Bye now! :)

5 comments:

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

The beautiful person that you are. It has been there since birth and is still there but even more compassionate. Trials and challenges bring us closer to the Savior too. Wonderful quote!

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

That is a great quote. Be sure to include the picture of the bird Hummer catches for you, hawk or other.

Maybe he would want to do a post on something?!?

Love you!

Mandy said...[Reply to comment]

Way to get back to your sweet Hummer :) Has he been watching Beauty & the Beast? If birds can warm up to a monster, surely they can warm up to an extremely cute five-year-old.

Elder Maxwell's quote is very thought-provoking. I always have to read through his words more than two or three times, and I think that the next time I read the same words, I'll have a completely different perspective. It's like the scriptures.

Thank you for your awesome example. I have been so blessed to have an oldest sibling who is one whom I can follow to find security on the right path. Last week I was thinking about what a powerful influence you had on me when I was growing up, specifically remembering the short time you were in PA with us. You really lightened me load through that difficult adjustment. Thank you. I love you.

This is long, sorry, but one more thought--the picture and quote bring a new perspective to me of "our mansions above." Reminds me of a book President Hinckley recommended a few years back . . . I can't remember the title--do you know the one I'm thinking of? One about seeking for treasures in heaven, instead of on earth?

Mandy said...[Reply to comment]

And one more thing :)

Do you mind if I post the picture and quote on a journal-type blog that I've been keeping?

Rick said...[Reply to comment]

Thank you for the photo credit, you are welcome to use any other images from my blog. You put some great words to it, very clever.