Friday, September 26, 2008

A Prophet's Counsel for Raising Boys

I have SO been counting down the days to our Relief Society Broadcast tomorrow night! Yippee! It's especially exciting because Pres. Monson will be addressing the women of the Church for the first time since becoming our new prophet.

I wanted to share these words from the meeting in 2003, when our beloved Pres. Hinckley addressed his remarks "To the Women of the Church". He focused on each different life situation of the women in the audience--single sisters, older women, empty nesters, young mothers. I love that he gave specific counsel to mothers who are raising sons. (Um, that would be me. :))

 {Nurture your sons with love and counsel. Teach them the importance of personal cleanliness, of neatness in their dress. Sloppy ways lead to sloppy lives. Instill in them a sense of discipline. Keep them worthy of service to the Church as missionaries. Give them things to do so that they may learn to work. Teach them to be frugal. Labor and frugality lead to prosperity. Teach them that nothing really good happens after 11 o'clock at night. And do not spoil them. If they go on missions, they may be compelled to live in circumstances that you would not wish for them. Do not worry about them. Give them encouragement.}

I love what he said to young mothers, too! To hear these words of love and support brought me such strength! I always come home from these meetings wanting to squeeze my children and play with them and kiss my husband and all the same time. :)

DSC00391

 

{How blessed you are, my dear young mothers. You have children who will be yours forever. I hope that you have been sealed in the house of the Lord and that your family will be an everlasting family in the kingdom of our Father.

{May you be given strength to carry your heavy load, to meet every obligation, to walk side by side with a good and faithful and caring man, and together with him rear and nurture and bring up your children in righteousness and truth. Nothing else you will ever own, no worldly thing you will ever acquire will be worth so much as the love of your children. God bless you, my dear, dear young mothers.}

I am so grateful to live in a day when the Lord has sent prophets to the earth! Tomorrow night I hope to hear words of comfort and strength sent straight to my heart from my Father.

5 comments:

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

Michelle, you INSPIRE me! Thanks for sharing. Thanks so much. This picture of you guys is AWESOME. I need to talk to you about putting it up in our hallway....

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

I love your blog. You have such good insight. It is so fun to read what you post.I like your blog right now. IT looks great.

France said...[Reply to comment]

That was so good for me to read. Thanks for posting. I missed the Women's Conference on Saturday night, but Lisa recorded it for me. I can't wait to watch it. Lashelle

snbjork said...[Reply to comment]

Michelle, you also inspired me. I had no interest in going to the broadcast because I was still not feeling great (from the cold I had all week) and was exhausted from my trip to Louisiana. But, after reading your post I felt excited to go and hear what was to be given to us! And, boy was it ever worth hearing!!!

snbjork said...[Reply to comment]

P.S. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this picture of you and your boys! It always makes me smile (and wish I had one like that with my fam.).