Sunday, September 7, 2008

I'm Gonna Lay Down This Heavy Load

DSCF2757

 

I took this picture at one of the barbecues we had during our family reunion a few weeks ago. Watching this ant had absorbed me for several minutes. It was just staggering under the weight of the relatively enormous crumb! There were no other ants nearby. I couldn't tell where it was headed as it kept struggling along. My brother who just got home from a mission was standing nearby, and I commented to him that I was very proud of this ant. I said that was how I felt in my calling right now, and that now I was inspired to go home and keep plugging away. I took the picture to remind me.

Well, today I was released as Primary President. After three years of serving in the presidency and a year and a half as president, I thought I would just feel relieved. What surprised me was the tears that sprang to my eyes as they read my name over the pulpit. I will actually miss this! I won't miss the Sunday morning phone calls or being the one in charge! But I am sad to no longer have the chance to teach those beautiful children. To see the wonder in their faces as I tell them the story of David and Goliath. To hear them say, "Sis. Baker, I brought my scriptures!" Hopefully I'll still get plenty of hugs from them, though, because I'll get to continue playing the piano there until they get someone called. :)

Having this calling over the past year was very hard. And one of the greatest blessings I could have had. The opportunity to try to serve as Christ would serve brought me closer to Him. I often thought of how He fed the five thousand just hours after learning that His beloved cousin John had been brutally murdered. He fed the multitude physically and spiritually, then took time to go into the wilderness to be alone. It only amazes me all the more to know that He did that while grieving.

For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?

Mosiah 5:13

P.S. I was also sustained today as ward music chairman. It is a relief that they put me right back to work. I need to have service expected of me right now, or I worry I would tend to go back to my cave. ;)

5 comments:

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

Beautifully done picture and thought. I needed to hear that right now! Do you realize that all three of us sisters are currently playing the piano in Primary? Cool to think that we may even be playing "Popcorn Popping" at the EXACT same moment! Love you!

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

I am so sad to see you leave our primary, but so happy to for you to move on to something different for a change. You were so wonderful as PP. Stella played with that phone all day.

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

Great analogy with the ant and its heavy load. I remember feeling a heavy load literally lifted when being released from a leadership position. You did an awesome job in your PP calling. Good luck with your music calling! Interesting that our three oldest are in music callings right now!

amberd. said...[Reply to comment]

I stumbled upon your blog because I noticed on my blogger dashboard you were following the recipe blog "Do we have to eat this?" I am a contributor on that blog along with a bunch of other super women who you may actually know. Maybe that's why you're following the blog....? That, or it's just a way super cool recipe blog. I wouldn't really know as I stink at cooking! I contribute things like great kinds of cereal to eat on that blog!

Anywho, I was actually just poking around and reading your blog. And it touched me. I was especially touched by the photograph of the aunt carrying the crumb. I was wondering if you would let me use your photograph on my own blog. I love it. I love it's representation and meaning and it has inspired me to write a post I've been meaning to write for a while now. I would love to use your photo though. How do you feel about that? I didn't want to just use it without your permission. If you can, would you get back with me. I'm weary about throwing my email up on the net, But you can reach me through my blog.


www.thedahlefam.blogspot.com
Thank you for your time and your thoughts on your blog are beautiful.

-Amber

JenB said...[Reply to comment]

Michelle,

I'm so happy that you had a positive experience working in primary. I know it can be one of the most challenging callings. I loved hearing about what you were working on and how much you loved the children. You are amazing Michelle.