Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fluffy's Bravery

DSCF3232image

Yesterday I was out visiting teaching, and received a call on my cell phone from the school nurse. I just knew it was about Fluffy--he had been coughing a lot that morning and I had debated whether or not he should go to school. It was about Fluffy, but evidently he had fallen during PE and gotten cut near his eye! My VT companion is a nurse and has 7 children (therefore much experience with cuts and bruises), and it was a blessing to have her be able to advise me. In her experience the "glue" doesn't heal as cleanly as stitches, but she bemoaned the fact that often doctors prefer to glue nowadays for the smaller cuts. So when the doctor gave me the choice of glue or two stitches, I chose the stitches.

Fluffy was so amazing! He didn't cry at all except when they were injecting the anesthetic. I held his hand and we played our special hand-squeezing game. When the doctor started the actual stitching, he said, "That feels cool!" The doctor laughed and said, "Well, that's good!" :)

In our family, we have a tradition that whenever a needle is involved, ice cream will be involved. So when we came home, Fluffy got a big bowl of ice cream as a trophy for his bravery! 

 

  DSCF3229 (2) DSCF3233 

P.S. The night before we had seen an severe emotional crisis when trying to get Fluffy to take cough medicine before going to bed. So I asked him yesterday which was worse, the stitches or taking cough medicine. Any guesses what he said?

P.P.S. This morning I took him late to school after letting him sleep in. (I know I baby my boys.) He really wanted me to walk all the way to class with him, but I told him I couldn't because Hummer was waiting in the car. I was amazed when he calmly said, "okay", and gave me a hug, then walked to class! My Fluffy is growing up! sniff sniff.

9 comments:

Andre said...[Reply to comment]

Not fun to have stitches!!! How are you?

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

Wow! Brave boy, that Fluffy. Too bad he'll probably get them off before Halloween. ;)

Cindi M said...[Reply to comment]

I believe that E (age 7) also had stitches in that exact same place a couple of years ago (without him being here, I can't exactly remember where the scar is). OUCH!!

JenB said...[Reply to comment]

Fluffy,

We are so sorry you got hurt! Wish we could be there to give hugs and kisses! We hope that you get feeling better soon!

Mandy said...[Reply to comment]

Owee!! I'm sorry you had to go through that, Fluffy! Sounds like you were really brave. Your chocolate piano looks awesome! Did you eat it in one sitting or nibble just a leg or a few keys at a time?

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

I'm glad you were so brave, Fluffy! What a trooper! Call me when you have a minute!

Annie said...[Reply to comment]

I just popped in to visit your blog because (avoiding work) I decided to see if there were any other bloggers who love Elizabeth Gaskell. To my amazement, there was! Your blog is absolutely lovely. I may drop in from time to time. (PS - your little boys are adorable.)

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...[Reply to comment]

Michelle,
I just found your blog through Picky Palate. What a fun blog you have.
Sorry about the stitches for your Fluffy. Bummer! Hope they heal quickly. You know Ice-Cream is a cure all. he he
Hugs, Bobbi Jo-Queen Creek, AZ

snbjork said...[Reply to comment]

Good job, Fluffy! You really are growing up. You know, I've never really had stitches before. I probably would have cried. You're so brave!

Did you save any of that ice cream for me???

I miss you and your sweet family. Will you please give them all a big hug from me?! Thank you!

Suzanne