Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fall Into Reading 2008

image I wandered into this somewhere in blog-land, and thought it sounded so fun! You choose the books you want to read between now and December 20th, and write up a post. As you finish the books, post reviews on your blog, and add them to her list for other readers to come and enjoy! :) If you're interested, it's hosted here at Callapidder Days.

I'm only going to name 3 books for the challenge, to give me better odds of following up on it. :) (Although most likely I'll read way more than three!)image

SummerDriggs_Relax_1

Anna Karenina - I made sure to ask my brother Didier to recommend a translation, since he took a Russian Lit class at BYU before his mission, and since he's the one who encouraged me to read this book!

He says the one he read was translated by Aylmer and Louise Maude. Got it from the library, and I'm ready to go. . . .(Good thing, too, because it'll probably take me the whole three months!)

 

image

SummerDriggs_Relax_2

Authentic Happiness - This one was recommended (and given!) to me by Dr. Wallace Goddard, who happens to be in our stake*. (Maybe you've read his articles in Meridian Magazine.) He has been teaching the most wonderful firesides bi-monthly, with a focus of strengthening marriage and parent relationships. At each one he has stacks of lovely, new books. He lets us take one and keep it on the condition that we READ it by the next fireside. Awesome!

 

 

SummerDriggs_Relax_3

Old Testament (KJV) - I am embarrassed to admit that I have never read the entire Bible. Most of the New Testament, yes, but my Old  Testament knowledge in particular, has been sadly lacking. I started reading it cover-to-cover in 2002, imageand now I'm at the end of Isaiah. Yay! One of my new year's goals for '08 was to finally finish the OT, so this will be my final push!

 

 

 

 

*mormon language :) = a group of local congregations--like a diocese in the Catholic church 

3 comments:

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

You go, girl! (I can't commit since I'm working on Bleak House. I have committed, however, to someday having a Growlery in my house. :)

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

A glowlery? What a fun idea! You are amazing to be able to do so much reading and keep up with all you do. As Becky said, "You go, girl!" As you say, "Gooz job!"

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...[Reply to comment]

Good for you for tackling Anna Karenina AND a good chunk of the Old Testament this fall! Thanks for being part of Fall Into Reading '08!