Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Benjamin's Highway Mile

2008 08 04 Adopt-a-Highway 005

The day after Benjamin's 9-month birthday (8/4/08), we joined with extended family and some of the Boy Scouts from my Dad's troop to go pick up litter along the highway. ADOT provided the vests and the bags, and later on, picked up the filled bags. Children under age 12 were not allowed to help, due to safety measures. My mom watched all the grandchildren and blew bubbles with them at Benjamin's monument. (Wish I had pictures of that, too!)

 

2008 08 04 Adopt-a-Highway 025

It was amazing how cheerful everyone was while doing a normally distasteful task. The work was motivated by pure love. (Or duty, in the case of the scouts.:))As for myself, I felt WONDERFUL! I was overwhelmed by the number of people who were willing to come and help. Thank you, McCleve family! You are awesome! And thank you, Dad's Boy Scouts!

 

2008 08 04 Adopt-a-Highway 026

That highway was a mess! We ended up with 37 huge bags of trash.

 

2008 08 04 Adopt-a-Highway 030

I loved spending that time doing something good in honor of our precious son!

 

2008 08 04 Adopt-a-Highway 067

My sister mentioned that it was neat to think of how much nicer that stretch of highway is because of Benjamin--it was a good work that he brought into the world.

6 comments:

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

Hooray! That was a wonderful day! We love you, Benjamin.

snbjork said...[Reply to comment]

Hey, thanks for sharing those pictures. I wish I could have helped, too. But, I was there in spirit. =) I can't believe how many bags you filled. That's pretty crazy.

Benjamin is a great kid to have inspired such love (and cleanliness)!

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

Great pictures. That is really neat. I love that you did that.

Chris said...[Reply to comment]

An event to be remembered and repeated! We have wonderful parents and family who would do this for us!

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

Cleanliness is next to godliness.

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

I LOVE seeing Benjamin's name as we go into and come back from town. Thank you for all your help. They just mowed the shoulder of "our mile" this week. I'm glad ADOT is helping too. :)