Monday, October 27, 2008

Vote for Family!

10 Yea, we see that Amalickiah, because he was a man of cunning device and a man of many flattering words, that he led away the hearts of many people to do wickedly; yea, and to seek to destroy the church of God, and to destroy the foundation of liberty which God had granted unto them, or which blessing God had sent upon the face of the land for the righteous’ sake.

  

image

Captain Moroni, Walter Rane (courtesy of Meridian Magazine)

I'm taking a break from my gratitude posts to get up on a soapbox. I don't like soapboxes, especially when other people get on them (ha!)! I am very tired of this election. I didn't even watch the last debate. BUT. . . .I am realizing there are crucial issues at stake here. There are people who want to redefine marriage as whatever you choose it to be. There are people who think it should stay legal to have abortions for convenience. We have the blessed freedom to lift our voice and VOTE. I pray the voice of the people may choose righteousness. I want so badly for my boys to be able to raise their children in a world that still values families!

11 And now it came to pass that when Moroni, who was the chief commander of the armies of the Nephites, had heard of these dissensions, he was angry with Amalickiah.

13 And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it—In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children—and he fastened it upon the end of a pole.

Alma 46:10-11, 13

 

For a while I had a really hard time deciding who to vote for in this election. After Mitt Romney left the race, I felt like I didn't really care anymore. (I still toy with the idea of writing him in on my ballot and sending mass emails asking everyone to do the same. Ya think it might work? :)) I've never been crazy about McCain, and Obama seemed interesting. . . .

But then I received an email from the Family Research Council that included a "voter's guide" to the candidates based on their voting records and public statements regarding family issues.

Here's what clinched the choice for me:
http://www.frcaction.org/get.cfm?i=VR08G01 
Click on the .pdf link. It seems very well-researched, basing all information on actual votes McCain and Obama made in the past, and real quotes from their past speeches. It changed the way I think about them!

This sentence (below, in the blue) particularly resonates with me right now, and has also educated my decision. . .

 

image 
I LOVED Stephanie Nielson's "Proc Week". Click on her artwork above to read her beautiful posts about "The Family: A Proclamation to the World."

Please vote for people and laws that will strengthen the family!

4 comments:

JenB said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks Michelle, I'm with you on this one. I also wanted to write in Romney. :-) I appreciate your post.

Mandy said...[Reply to comment]

Thank you for taking the time to share this, Michelle! I printed out the voting guide when you emailed so Tapa could read it too. It's really an eye-opener as to how drastic some of the effects of the candidates' decisions could be! I was surprised by both candidates' history with the issues.

Maria said...[Reply to comment]

AMEN!

snbjork said...[Reply to comment]

I agree that it was surprising to see the stark differences with certain issues. I was pretty sure about who I would vote for (although, none of our choices are great), but now I am certain. I've been thinking that I need to do some more research since I haven't seen ANY of the debates and it's practically impossible to believe most of the things you read. I felt good about this, though. Thanks for sharing!