Friday, October 17, 2008

Day 2 - {my edward cullen}

100 days of gratitude tag

He grinned his crooked smile at me, stopping my breath and my heart. I couldn’t imagine how an angel could be any more glorious. There was nothing about him that could be improved upon.
Bella Swan, Twilight, Chapter 12, p.241

 

A few of you may be surprised that I love the "Twilight" series. I admit that the sensuality in the books does push the envelope as far as what I generally tolerate.

But here's why I love them so much:

They help me remember what it was like to first fall in love with the man whom I would marry. After 11 1/2 years of marriage (8 of which he was still in school), and 4 babies, sometimes daily life blurs those memories. But when I finished "Twilight" for the first time, I remembered that overpowering magnetic pull just to touch the one I love. I could feel the electric rush of our first few kisses. And it brought back memories of when we would talk for hours. When our time apart was spent counting the minutes until we were together again.

I am so lucky to have my own Edward Cullen! And, as I like to tease him, "You don't even have to suck my blood for us to be together forever!"

d.c. ~ e.c.

image_thumb2~He is so handsome. And in a young way. Many people meeting him for the first time have misjudged his age by about 15 years! And during the 13 years since I met him, he has changed very little. Like Edward's forever remaining 17. :)

~He cares about my feelings even more than his own.

~He is a perfect gentleman. He opens doors for me, and teaches our sons to do the same.

~He protects me. Maybe not from speeding trucks and enraged vampires, but he does handle all the spiders! (Yech).

~He has amazing musical talents. There have been memorable, romantic evenings when he has played just for me. (You would not believe how attractive a man playing Bach just for you can be!)

~I feel like Bella did when he returns from a long absence, "the strangest sense of relief — as if I’d been in pain and that pain had suddenly ceased" (Bella Swan, Eclipse, Chapter 1, p.17).

~No, he doesn't glitter in the sun. But he does tend to sneeze when he looks at the sun! teehee

~He has amber flecks in his eyes. I like to spend a lot of time looking into them.

~I really, really like to kiss him. And I really, really love to feel his arms around me.

~He listens to me, even when I'm completely emotional, and when I ramble on and on. He wants me to be happy.

 

As I think about gratitude and the things my Father in Heaven has blessed me with, I place my DC at the very top of the list.

In the past year, he has proven himself to be not only as loving as ever, but amazingly steady and constant. When I was in the throes of profound grief, having to fight even to get up in the morning and face another day without my baby, he got the boys up, made them breakfast, and took them to school. He never made me feel bad for this, or like a slacker. He has been so understanding. On nights when we were supposed to be having a date but I couldn't make myself be happy enough to even enjoy a movie, he brushed my hair and let me cry. He has cried with me, prayed for me, fasted for me, given me Priesthood blessings.

Oh, yes. I am so thankful for my husband.

I hope you have your own "DC", too.

                                

IMG_5096

12 comments:

Devin and Melinda said...[Reply to comment]

That was awesome Michelle! I am glad you have such a wonderful husband who is perfect for you! I am grateful for my "DC" too!
Devin also sneezes when he looks in the sun....and so do all three of my kids!

Andre said...[Reply to comment]

Oh no!! I thought you were too good to be true! Now I have found the thing we will disagree about. I do NOT like the Twilight books. (I am reading No. 3)

The rest of your post about your hubby was great though. I'm glad he was and is a great support for you. He is the person that should be closest to you in your grieving.

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

Wonderful post, Michelle! We love DC too. He is such an asset to our family. I really look forward to your blog to find out the next item, thing, person, etc. that you are grateful for. Thank you for sharing your innermost self with us.

France said...[Reply to comment]

I just loved the eternity comment. Never thought of it like that. It made me laugh. That picture of you guys was just precious. Lashelle

Maria said...[Reply to comment]

Very sweet Michelle! Thank heaven for wonderful DC's! :)

Cindi M said...[Reply to comment]

So sweet. So sweet!

Karrot Soup said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks for posting...I'm honored to have seen the beginning of your love story. And what an amazing, sweet picture. I can tell he's changed a little, gotten older, but in a very good way. Someday maybe I'll see you both in person again :)

snbjork said...[Reply to comment]

What a wonderful couple you and DC are! He truly treats you even better than a queen, as I have witnessed more times than I can count. What a great tribute to him!

It was fun to read this and not feel jealous because, yes as you know, I have my own amazing husband. Where would we be without these great men?!!

I miss you. In case you forgot. Barry will be in "Cokika" as Alton calls it for a week next month. You should come visit while he's gone. Just yank some money off of your money tree out back. You'll never miss it!

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

I too found these books reminding me of what it felt like to first fall in love. It was nice. Are we not so lucky to have an "Edward" in our life. You are blessed.

I love the story about the ticket. It is amazing how such a small thing, can make all the difference. I love those "tender mercies" for our HF. It is great that you can recognize that.

Amy Kay said...[Reply to comment]

Oh Michelle, I cried as I read your beautiful post. I love the Twilight series, and I hope to find me an Edward Cullen someday. I know he is out there. YOu are your DC are such a cute couple. I really like the photo of you at the end. I think I am going to do a 100 days of gratitude. I think I need that right now, because I know I have 100, but can't think that high right now. I will start my list soon. Did you write your list up before you started to blog it?
Hugs, Amy ;)

Michelle said...[Reply to comment]

Thank you so much, sweet friends, for all the comment love!
Amy Kay, I am shooting from the hip for these 100 days of gratitude. I do jot down ideas, though, when I think of them.
I use Windows Live Writer, so I even just start the post as a draft without a day number on it. Then when I finish it, I add which day it was and publish.
I hope you do it! That would be so fun to see what your list is! I would be happy to edit my graphic to have your blog name on it, if you want. . . .:)

Amy said...[Reply to comment]

Love, love, love this post! :)