Saturday, September 26, 2009

Day 37 - { beloved Rosy }

 Rosemary name post 2

If you guessed that I was going to announce the name of our daughter, you were right! (I'm just so subtle and discreet. :)

Our daughter will be named for three very special women in our life:

DC's Mom = Mary Catherine

My Mom = Nancy Jane

and . . . .

my beloved friend Rosy Wright

 

Let me introduce you! :)

2004 0619 Saying good-bye to Rosy 2

 

100 days of gratitude tagThis is Rosy and Tommie Wright. Our friendship with them is one of the greatest blessings that came from our time in graduate school. We have countless precious memories of time spent together in Tallahassee.

2008-03-23 at 19-07-38

 

I served as one of Rosy's counselors in the Relief Society presidency, and she was like my sister, my mother-away-from-home, and my best friend all in one.

036

 

How can I describe Rosy?

image

 

She was born in Cuba, and emigrated to Florida as a teenager, having to leave her parents behind. She overcame incredible challenges, including earning a graduate degree while a single parent. image

Her husband Tommie is a pianist and master teacher. He is legendary at FSU for writing the fight song and providing the profile for the Seminole mascot, and yet he is the most cheerful, humble, likeable man you will ever meet.

They have three beautiful daughters, who are just as lovely inside as out, and incredibly talented.

2007-05-13 at 13-15-08 (1)

 

Their family life is Dickensian in its peacefulness and harmony (think the Cratchit family from A Christmas Carol). They just have a spirit of love and acceptance in their home that is magnetic. I loved every minute I ever spent with them, and DC and I have often talked about how their family life is an example for how we want ours to be.

Rosy is. . .

2004 0310 Tommie and Rosy Wright with Hyrum and Russell

. . . .generous beyond belief, in every sense. Not only is she giving in the traditional way but she also is one to always give someone the benefit of the doubt. You want to be what she believes you are!

. . . .brilliant but Christlike - she's department head at a major college, but I have seen her serving in the humblest of circumstances - cleaning cupboards of someone about to move, taking dinner to someone when she herself is ill

. . . .fun to be around - she has the most amazing stories to tell, and has an ever-present sense of humor, but is a great listener, too, and very sensitive 

. . . .thoughtful to the point that she gives new meaning to the word - she gave a shower for me and Fluffy just after he was born - she brought a beautiful cake in honor of Hummer's blessing day - when she couldn't come to Exacto's BD party she sent a gift and also money for me to buy balloons for the party - I could keep listing examples for pages. . . .

037

. . . .beautiful - I still remember when I first met Rosy. I was sitting alone, waiting for Relief Society to begin on our first Sunday in Tallahassee. I was 20 years old and had our two-month-old Exacto. She was Relief Society president at the time, and when she saw me she immediately came over and introduced herself. From the moment I saw her first smile at me, I felt this amazing love from her, and a feeling almost like we had always known each other. She is truly one of the most beautiful people I have ever known -- her spirit is positive and radiant, yet because she has undergone such significant challenges in her life she has this incredible depth as well.

2009-07-26 at 20-05-59

 

I have always wanted to name a daughter after her since I first was blessed to become her friend. Fluffy, Hyrum, and Benjamin were all in the running to be our "Rosy" until we found out they were boys. :)

2004-11-14 at 13-39-51

 

This being our first daughter after so many sons, we also definitely wanted to include both our mothers as well (don't know if we'll get another chance :)!) I was so excited when we hit on just the right name that incorporates all three.

And so her name is . . .

Rosemary name post

We love 'Rosemary' because it is old-fashioned, and also because it is the herb of remembrance. When Benjamin died, his Aunt Ginger sent a beautiful rosemary wreath, which still hangs on our door. This baby is a precious ray of hope after the painful loss of her big brother.

DSC04242 edit

 

We already call her Rosemary (perhaps a few of you have heard the beans spill :), and on this blog, she will be known as Rosebud.

12 comments:

Annie said...[Reply to comment]

What a beautiful name... I've always been especially partial to Jane. :)

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

Oh, what a sweet and beautiful name! Little Rosemary. I love it!

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

What a sweet name! I feel honored to share with two other great ladies in naming a cute Baker baby! Can hardly wait to meet Rosemary Jane!

Rosy Wright is a dear! You did a very nice tribute to her.

Karrot Soup said...[Reply to comment]

At first I thought you had picked Caroline because of that opening swatch of names, and I was disappointed when I realized you hadn't -- until I saw how you had combined the names into Rosemary. I love love it, and am glad you found a name of such depth for your daughter. Congratulations!

ikkinlala said...[Reply to comment]

That's a lovely name!

Cindy said...[Reply to comment]

That is lovely! My mother in law's name is Jane and her mother's name is Rosemary! I think there's such beautiful symbolism in your little one's name, what a sweet way to remember all those loved ones. I love the Wrights! It was fun to see you blog about people I knew! I remember always wishing I had gotten to know Rosy better.
Love you!

David and Kaitlyn said...[Reply to comment]

Hah! So funny! I was joking about having our babies on the same day and naming them the same thing, and our Top name in the running is Rosalie! I love it!

medstudent said...[Reply to comment]

That's a beautiful name. I'm so excited for you.

Vauna said...[Reply to comment]

What a beautiful and special name. I can't wait to meet her!

Annalisa said...[Reply to comment]

That is a great name! When you mentioned in the beginning the three names: Mary, Jane, and Rosy...I was thinking Mary-Jane Rose. And Rosemary Jane sounds great. What fun to be having a little girl.

Congrats!!!

Sonja Carter said...[Reply to comment]

We LOVE it! Rosemary Jane has a beautiful ring to it. This little girl is going to have an amazing family!

Andre said...[Reply to comment]

I love the name! I love that you called her "a precious ray of hope."