Monday, April 14, 2008

A Visit from SuzieQ

Time to do some catch up on my blogging!

My beloved friend SuzieQ and her two sweet little ones came to visit us for a week in March. She and I have been friends since Tallahassee days, where we lived in the same apartment complex. She is one of my favorite people on the planet because. . . .

She is a true friend. I know she really cares about me and thinks about me, even if we don't get a chance to talk for a while. Then when we do, we pick up where we left off as if we had just spoken the day before.

She is amazingly talented. Her voice is like liquid gold, and she sings with the Spirit. I have often wept while accompanying her because of the power she sings with.

She cooks like a pro, and is a self-confirmed foodie. We love talking about food, reading food magazines, trying new recipes, and of course, eating. (We really tried to be good during this visit, but it was SO HARD. Waah.)

She is generous. She's always giving wonderful gifts to family and friends. Even back in our student poverty days she was always sharing treats and giving little surprises that would just make my day.

DSCF1103

She is 100% dedicated to the gospel and her family. I hope I don't embarrass her by sharing this story. When she was studying music at FSU (not a vocal performance major) she auditioned and won the leading role in one of their opera productions. She had beat out performance majors and graduate students and boy, were they upset! I was so proud of her. But then she read through the libretto and score and realized that she would be expected to portray a character who was adulterous. She promptly turned down the role. What a splash she made in the School of Music! First, no one could believe a non-performance major had won the part. Then, all were completely flummoxed by her turning down the part! It was awesome. To say I was proud of her then is an understatement. She had become my hero. :)

There are many other neat things about her, but I want to start posting pictures of her visit, which was very fun.

DSCF1187

( P.S. Beloved friends and family, watch out! You may just get the spotlight on you sometime on this blog! :)

3 comments:

snbjork said...[Reply to comment]

Michelle, you're one of my heroes! Thank you for the sweet post. I don't deserve the praise. You are an awesome friend. I'm so grateful we ended up in the same ward years ago! I don't know what I'd do without you! Some days every other sentence begins with your name (ask Barry, I'm not kidding!). I can't wait to see you very soon!!!!!

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

What a wonderful tribute to a dear friend! I look forward to meeting Suzanne. I've heard so much about her. Maybe this summer when we go to the Birmingham, Alabama Temple.

Barry said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks for such a wonderful spotlight of my wife. Sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky to have her!

Also, thanks for taking care of her and the kids on their visit. It sounds like you all had a nice time. See ya soon.