Thursday, April 24, 2008

My soul's clock is ticking

I have a dear friend back in Tallahassee who is a very talented writer, even having recently published a children's book. We used to go to a writers' group together, and I will always be grateful to her for encouraging me in my creative verbal efforts! :) She sent me this poem a couple of months ago, and it fit so well how I feel. I have really good weeks where I feel almost normal, and then I have down weeks where I just want to stay in bed and cry and eat chocolate. (Not that I do, but that's how I feel). Thank you, Norma, not only for expressing beautifully what living with grief feels like, but especially for letting me "lean on you" through our emails!

Invitation

Don’t expect too much of me

Of something I can’t give,

I’m still searching who I am

and how I want to live.


My mind and heart are wounded now

the scars are wide and deep,

but my soul’s clock is ticking

with time-washed healing sleep.


So if you care to wait around

on the periphery,

One day I’ll reach out again

in new maturity.

--Norma J. Sundberg--

copyrighted, permission given to post on this blog

(original title: A Death Called Divorce)

4 comments:

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

Profoundly poetic. The words seem to help me better connect with you. I'm very glad you shared.

Malauna said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful poem. I must say that I am, in a small way, reliving my grief with you over my baby Xadie. Beautiful. And thankfully, through Christ all are made whole.

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

What a poem! Do you think this one is okay to share since it is copyrighted?

Michelle said...[Reply to comment]

Only Norma can give permission, because evidently the poem was just published and they own the copyright, too.
But you can always link to this here blog! :)
Love you.