Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day 41 - {.new traditions.}

update: I just added the recipe for the doughnut holes. It's from DC's mom, the source of many of our favorite recipes. :)

new traditions 1

This was on a Saturday, just for fun. The doughnut holes worked out great with my three helpers. We divided into stations -- a frying station, a powdered sugar/cocoa station, and a cinnamon sugar station. We set the timer, and rotated the boys through. It was so fun!

Ma Baker's Doughnut Holes
1 3/4 c. flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
1 egg
Mix all ingredients. Drop by small teaspoonfuls into very hot oil (375 seems to be the sweet spot). When brown, turn, let brown on other side, remove and roll in cinnamon sugar.

 

new traditions 2

"CTR" means "Choose the Right." When our boys turn 8 and are baptized, their Nana gives them a beautiful CTR ring (you can see Fluffy's in the first picture). Carving it into a pumpkin was an idea from the Friend magazine.

 

new traditions 3

These activities and the CTR lantern we did on the boys' day off from school for Parent-Teacher Conferences. They had the idea of taking the caramel apple cookies to share with their teachers! So sweet, my boys. :) (btw, I think that sugar is an integral part of family traditions--ha.)

 

And for our family now, October 31st is for. . . .

 

new traditions 4

 

new traditions 5

 

new traditions 6

(Thank you to Emily for this wonderful idea of using real autumn leaves to decorate.)

 

new traditions 7

 

. . . and, of course. . . .

new traditions 8

 

I am so grateful for the peaceful, happy day we had today.

Thank You, Heavenly Father.

100 days of gratitude tag

5 comments:

Amanda said...[Reply to comment]

You went to my favorite place to eat. They know me by name there LOL
I am glad you all had a wonderful day!

snbjork said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, talk about some fun Saturdays! The donut holes look fabulous. I can't wait to play "Don't Eat Pete" with you and your boys! And to visit that restaurant with you. I love the CTR pumpkin. We were lazy (as usual) and didn't even carve our pumpkins. They look beautiful just sitting on the hearth.

I'm so glad you had such a great day (I was thinking about you guys). We had Stake Conference last night and I sang in the choir so I had a great time, too! See you tomorrow!

Vauna said...[Reply to comment]

What wonderful traditions to begin. The donut holes look delicious. I'm glad it was a peaceful day and I hope a happy one at that. You were on my mind all day.

Cindy said...[Reply to comment]

I'm so glad you had such a good day. There I was out trick or treating with my children, thinking about you and wondering how you were and if you had a good day. I'm so glad you did! I am totally going to steal the donut holes idea! Do you have a good recipe?

Annalisa said...[Reply to comment]

What fun new traditions. Glad to see all the smiles.