Thursday, April 3, 2008

Five months since Benjamin joined our family


When Benjamin was born--and had already died, we received so many beautiful words and expressions of love from friends and family. Each one was like receiving a warm hug and a shoulder to cry on. Each one was a testimony that he was Real, that he had become part of our eternal family. I know I realized at the time that I now had a new son to call my own, but was so overpowered by the sadness of his already having passed on through the veil, it was hard to rejoice.

Last November

Today I look out the window and can see the beautiful blooms of the tulips our sweet friends planted when Benjamin was born. They give a feeling of celebration. Normally we say, "Welcome to the world" when a baby is born. We can't say that to Benjamin. . . .but we
can say to him, "Welcome to our family!"

Yesterday

The fresh exuberance of the blooms also give me a powerful reminder of the reality of resurrection. They make me think of growth and new life.

Joseph F. Smith said: "When [a] mother is deprived of the pleasure and joy of rearing her babe to manhood or to womanhood in this life, through the hand of death, that privilege will be renewed to her hereafter, and she will enjoy it to a fuller fruition than it would be possible for her to do here. When she does it there, it will be with the certain knowledge that the results will be without failure; whereas here, the results are unknown until after we have passed the test." Someday we will have all the joy of watching little Benjamin grow up! I can't wait!!

4 comments:

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

Wow! The tulips look beautiful! What beautiful words too. I love the quote by Pres. Smith. I look forward to seeing Benjamin again too.

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

The flowers are beautiful! A gracious token of the gospel that enables us to be with Benjamin again. I love you!

Malauna said...[Reply to comment]

What beautiful tulips. And wise friends to have helped you plant them. Also, congrats on your recent 5k success!

Stephanie Johnson said...[Reply to comment]

Those are beautiful flowers. I still have a plant that my sis-in-law sent me in memory of James. It's nice to have physical reminders of a loved one! We need to get together soon. You're welcome to come by here and visit!