Monday, May 4, 2009

Alma and Light

I read these recently during a difficult week, and was so struck and uplifted by these words from the prophet Alma. Hope you enjoy. . . .

". . . .he looketh down upon all the children of men; and he knows all the thoughts and intents of the heart; for by his hand were they all created from the beginning." (alma 18:32)

 

"And he began to cry unto the Lord, saying: O Lord, have mercy; according to thy abundant mercy which thou hast had upon the people of Nephi, have upon me, and my people." (alma 18:41)

 

"for he knew that king Lamoni was under the power of God; he knew that the dark veil of unbelief was being cast away from his mind,

and the light which did light up his mind,

. . . .the light of the glory of God

. . . .a marvelous light of his goodness—

yea, this light had infused such joy into his soul,

the cloud of darkness having been dispelled,

and that the light of everlasting life was lit up in his soul,

yea, he knew that this had overcome his natural frame, and he was carried away in God—" (alma 19:6)

image

"overpowered by the Spirit" (alma 19:13)

"overpowered with joy" (alma 19:14)

 Source

7 comments:

Chris said...[Reply to comment]

I hadn't thought about how mercy and light are both connected that way. Both come from a loving Heavenly Father. Your poem is so beautiful, a perfect way to express your feelings for Benjamin; I can only agree and thank you for putting it so well into words. You're my Best Friend Forever!

Amy Kay said...[Reply to comment]

Michelle, Thank you for those scriptures. I have been having a rough week as well, and I needed to read what you wrote. I have been reading your posts these past few days and they are wonderful. You are Wonderful! I am thankful you are my friend. I am learning about being patient for things that I want to happen on my time not His. I know He knows the thoughts and intent of my heart, and will do His will concerning me. I have Faith that everything will happen when the time is right. Thanks Michelle.
Love and miss you,
Amy

Vauna said...[Reply to comment]

Thank you for sharing, Michelle.
It is wonderful to know that through the light of Christ we each can overcome our own natural frame, and be carried away in God!
Thank you for your constant faith and eternal outlook.

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

Don't you just love Alma. So inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Becky Rose said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks for sharing these words. I will come to these when I'm having a hard time.

Andre said...[Reply to comment]

You are wonderful!! I feel like you wrote this post to help me. I needed to read it today when I am waiting in limbo for results.

I also loved the poem about Benjamin. Reading these posts helps me feel peace. Thank you.

Deaton Adventures said...[Reply to comment]

You are such an inspiration to so many people, keep posting in all your moods because we all go through them and you seem to have such good insite. I love you!