I thought when school started it might be easier to keep up with weekly posts. Obviously I forgot what it’s like to homeschool AND have kids in public school and have a sweet 3-year-old who needs plenty of attention. (Aren’t they like the black hole of attention at that age? :)
So, apologies for the very sporadic posting. There are also computer issues involved, but I hope to have those resolved soon.
Meanwhile, I need some advice / counsel from you, if you have any for me. (Please!)
Just as we were moving I heard about an excellent charter school here in Fort Collins. I heard it was so amazing that there were people driving 45 minutes every day to take their kids there. I got on the website and saw that yes, it looked to be an amazing school, but admission was lottery-based and that there were a huge number of applicants in the lottery pool. It was the weekend of our move into the rental here and I just decided it probably was too late to try to work it out for this year.
We signed them up at the local public schools, which are all very reputable in this particular area, and I felt like things would probably be just fine.
School started and we decided to homeschool Fluffy. The other two have had a relatively tough beginning, but are starting to settle in.
I found myself still thinking about this charter school. It is a K-12, with free tuition. It is classical / core-knowledge based. Its website had me practically drooling all over my messy desk, with its amazing curriculum and teachers with doctorates and the fact that they always have June, July, and August completely off and Latin starting in Kindergarten and all kinds of cool stuff.
It looks traditional and intense and family-centered all at the same time. And I could have all my school kids there at once, even when Rosebud’s in Kindergarten and Exacto’s a senior!
I decided to get started with the process of getting everyone in for next year, if possible. Last night I went to a Parent Information Meeting with a few questions in mind and planned to get us into the lottery and hope for the best for 14/15.
The lady running the meeting found out what grades my boys are in and said that this is very unusual, but she actually has an opening for one of them, and with the sibling preference program they have, ALL of them could start attending THIS YEAR.
I thought, well, maybe after this semester is over – don’t wanna switch them right in the middle. But she said that they don’t take new enrollments after October 1st.
So now we have a tough decision.
Exacto and Hummer are not super comfortable at their schools yet, but have passed the worst of the new kid awkwardness as far as I can tell. And Fluffy is loving homeschool.
But this charter school is the school of our dreams. It is what we would have wished for them all along ever since Exacto’s 1st year of school. It is close to CSU campus and DC could drive them in the mornings. They could all be in the same place and have an incredible education for free. It has to be now or not till next fall, after they’ve had a year in their current situation to get more comfortable.
Is it worth a huge upheaval again for them? Please tell me what you think!!!!