Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Where I'm From

A writing exercise based on this poem by George Ella Lyon. Hope you enjoy my plucky attempt. :)

 

I am from hot rocks and thorns,

from Saguaros and monsoon dust.

I am from brown carpet and rust-red brick.

(Full moon shining through open vertical blinds

a witness to coyotes’ unholy rejoicing).

I am from the caterpillar I ate when I was 4,

and the tunnels under our three rows of corn,

from the mulberry tree’s lowest limb

with a peanut-butter bucket on a string

for my servant sister to fill.

 

image

 

I am from Hop on Pop and Rush Grush,

  from Nancy and Jim.

I’m from the homemade bread on Saturday nights

and mariachi pancake mornings,

  from “Talk nicely” and ya-gotta-get-up reveille.

I’m from Oh, Carden, we love thee,

  from warm water covering my white dress,

  the name of God resonating distantly familiar.

 

 imagescan0002

 

I’m from Lester and Ella’s branch,

Sky-blue eyes and hands that mirror mine.

From Christmas Eve piñatas as we shivered barefoot.

  Sunday night British Bulldogs.

Outside my bedroom window are hard blue mountains.

Under my feet solid desert rock.

I am from the warm foothills

of Heaven.

 

800px-Saguaronationalparl17102008

11 comments:

The Hof family said...[Reply to comment]

I love it!

Montserrat said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, this is beautiful! And a good writing exercise. Hm...I think you have given me an idea for Wordfull Wednesday.

llamitanan said...[Reply to comment]

Love it, Sweet Fiddler's Wife! Becky and I read it together last night. Love, love, love it!

Annalisa said...[Reply to comment]

that plucky attempt is quite good!

Vauna said...[Reply to comment]

Lovely, quite lovely. It was so heartfelt, even I could almost feel your memories. Not many can talk about growing up with such depth and love. You are so fortunate. We are both.

Chris said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful writing, Michelle! Wow, I'll need to ask you about some of those lines and what they mean, even after being married 14+yrs.
Love you!
Chris

Our Family said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful words.

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful. I did not know that you liked to write poetry. You are really good at it.

Karrot Soup said...[Reply to comment]

Wow! Not bad, not bad atall!

The Hof family said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Michelle! I just wanted to let you know that I haven't deleted you from my facebook. I just deactivated my account for a while. Hope you are all doing well! I'll talk to you soon. Lots of Love, Melanie.
P.S. I have sent you an email a while back, I'm not sure if you got it or not.

Becky Rose said...[Reply to comment]

Michelle- thanks for your comments on my blog lately. It's nice to know people are reading it and care.
Are you taking a poetry class. I need to do that!